SUBSTANCE ABUSE – a Tale of Two Older Adults
Lorell Pride is a front-line RN whose practice for a number of years has focused on substance misuse in older adults. Although
Seniors Well Aware Program (SWAP) is the specialized program that is referred to, the general principles for identification through to
management are applicable to all.
- To screen for substance misuse in older adults.
- To improve management of substance misuse (alcohol and other drugs).
- To identify referral resources.
- Use of screening tools like CAGE or other evidence-based tools.
- Difference in how to use CIWA for older adults.
- Differences in management for withdrawal in older adults.
- SWAP and other programs as referral resources.